Juvéderm® Volbella® is a new dermal filler treatment for the lips and peri-oral area. Similar to other Juvéderm fillers, Volbella is a hyaluronic acid (HA) filler. It is specially designed to provide a natural, subtle look to the lips, define lip contours, treat oral commissures and to smooth fine lines around the mouth. Volbella has been used for several years in Canada and Europe for lip augmentation with great success. It was approved for lip enhancement by the FDA in the United States in 2016.
Volbella differs slightly from other dermal fillers in that it has a lower concentration ofhyaluronic acid. Its unique formulation makes it best for adding subtle volume and gently smoothing the lines around the mouth. It also smooths the surface of the lips, giving them fullness and shine.
As we grow older, the hyaluronic acid we once produced starts to diminish, creating wrinkles, lines and creases lines that we would rather not see. Volbella can help to:
- Smooth the fine, vertical lines (also known as “smoker’s lines”), appearing around the lips.
- Correct the downturn of the corners of the mouth (oral commissures).
- Define the natural lip contour by accentuating the vermillion border, or outline of the lips.
- Treat marionette lines which appear from the corners of the mouth, down to the chin.
- Enhance the cupid’s bow, or the dip in the middle of the upper lip and beneath the nose.
This patient had a JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA XC treatment to soften the lines around the mouth and add volume to the lips. Photos courtesy of Allergan.
Like other Juvéderm products, Volbella is injected using an ultrafine needle. In clinical trials, Volbella was found to effectively increase lip fullness and soften the appearance of lines around the mouth in the majority of subjects through one year.
Volbella can be combined with laser procedures that stimulate collagen and Botox which helps relax the muscles around the mouth. Combination treatments improve the overall rejuvenation of the mouth area and increase the longevity of the improvements.